Sunday, January 22, 2017

What Does it Mean to Communicate With the Intention to Learn Truth?

Carolyn shares her waning phase journey: I decided at the full moon that I really wanted to 'Learn Truth' regardless of how uncomfortable or unpleasant those Truths might be.  My intention for this waning cycle is two fold: 1) to watch myself and notice when I am tempted to alter my words when I am talking (or writing). To notice the people I am most likely to speak 'less than' what is truth for me. And to make every effort to speak truth at these times.  2) I also committed to listening for the truth in what others say. I committed to ask questions from an intention to invite others to speak the truth, and feel safe in doing so.

As we come near the close of this waning moon phase, I have gathered enough data to give a partial report on my experiment (which I hope will become a habit, then a way of living). Here is what I know of myself so far:
1) There are certain people where I am more likely than not to shift my words, to soften the truth of my feelings and thoughts.  Sometimes, I want to hide my feelings, protect the other, impact their response, look better than I feel, get something I want.
2) When I listen and hear something I don't like, I feel my reaction keenly in my body.  I instinctively want to either withdraw (clam up) or strike out (with sarcasm, sharp words or trick questions).  But I am conscious of my commitment, so this month, most of the time, I am able to sincerely invite more of the truth from the other.


Self-Reflection: Have I been willing to communicate with an open-hearted intention to Learn Truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment