Friday, June 2, 2017

'saying what you think' & 'speaking your truth'

Is  'saying what you think' the same as 'speaking your truth'? 

"I speak my truth," she said. "I always say what I think. People think I'm too blunt, but you know, I can't help it if the truth hurts."

Speaking bluntly does not equal speaking truth. 
Neither, however, is softening or putting a spin on a truth that need to spoken.
Speaking the truth is not the same as giving someone 'a piece of your mind'.
Speaking truth takes practise and more.  It is more than a skill; it seems rather to be an evolving wisdom that comes with practise and with conscious intention. 
We grow in our ability to recognize our tendency to speak out of defensiveness and the need to be 'right'.
We learn to take time to 'think our thoughts through, thoroughly. 
We check our motive.
Speaking Truth can mean NOT speaking any words at all--especially when our thinking brain or our emotions are urging us to blurt out words that we know will cause injury, pain or hurt to our self or another. 

Self Reflection:  Just for this day, I will practice thinking through the truth of my thoughts before I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment