Saturday, June 24, 2017

Loving the Truth of All Aspects of ‘Me’: Starting with My Body

Imagine yourself taking a taking a walk with your physical body. Of course, anytime we take a walk, it is our physical body who does the walking, but this time, imagine you are walking with your physical body, as a companion to her.  The two of you are walking with the intention of having a truthful conversation about your body and it is first ‘body’s’ opportunity to speak truth to you, and you job is listening and to receive with an open, non-judging and receptive heart, to your body’s truth.

Carolyn shares: "The first time walking with my body, I chose a set time for meditation-about 25 minutes and sat comfortably, imagining walking beside this body, long silver grey hair and an easy gate in her walk. I ask  my‘body’ to speak to me the truth of her experience as the one who carries the rest of me around. 

"My body speaks: 'You don’t give me enough time-enough time to go to the bathroom, I feel hurried, like you are impatient with how long bodily functions take. And the same with eating. I can’t digest as fast as you eat, it’s hard for stomach to deal with the chunks of food that you haven’t chewed well enough to break down. This makes your allergies worse, and then I suffer for that because I have bits of toxins and irritation in the most tender places of my body: my joints and soft tissue. It’s hard to stay healthy when I am using so much of my daily energy to deal with that, and yet, I want to move more. That would help every part of me.'

"My body continues: 'I feel like when you look at me you are comparing me with how you think I should look, noticing new wrinkles and age spots, or places you call ‘fat’. Give me time and I can show you how I am meant to look- not the way you think I should, not the way I do now. You are not able to imagine that, but I would reveal it to you, if you would let me.'

"I ask what Body needs: 'Love me, appreciate the 24/7 work I do for you. Be willing to set aside the habits of the emotions and the mind where I end up feeling like a catch-all for your unfinished emotions and unresolved conflicts. I am a garbage can for food stuff that you love, but is toxic for my cells and my heart. Have gratitude, don’t just say it, act toward me as if you are grateful. This is energy for me, for my soul-yes I am a part of your soul.' I am surprised by that, I hadn’t thought of my soul as having ‘parts’, but it makes sense when I think about it, that I am ALL a manifestation of my soul’s energy.

"My time for my walk with my body is coming to a close, and I feel I have just scratched the surface in hearing what my body would teach me about her truth. I am surprised that the anxiety I had at the start is no longer present in my body, or in my feelings. I feel more connected with this physical part of myself.  I do thank my body, and I AM living in a different way to change this relationship with my body. I feel my intention and desire to be in partnership with her, a symbiotic relationship, being mutual servants to each other. I thank her and let her know we will walk again. "Everyday” She says. “I’m not finished yet!”"

Self Reflection:  What would my body say to me?  Am I willing to walk with her and listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment