Monday, February 13, 2017

Choosing to Thrive

Sara shares: "You cannot push the dark away, you can only transform it with light".  These are the words that came as my message in my morning contemplation of the meditation Reflecting on the Waxing Phase of February's Moon Cycle.  Then came these words "Manifesting Truth is not about correcting wrong behaviors".

As the full moon's light displaces the darkness of the first half of the cycle, I am reminded that I can make a choice in how I perceive my Now, my history and my future.  That choice makes the difference between thriving and surviving.

Neuroscience reveals that we make decisions primarily from one of two parts of the brain: The deep core of our brain is our "survival" mode. This part of the brain drives cravings and addictions, flight or fight mode and short-term pleasure seeking. In contrast, the prefrontal cortex is the part used when we consider long-range outcomes and the bigger picture. This is the part of the brain responsible for "thriving". Only one part of the brain operates at a time; we are either in "thrive" or "survive" mode.

We can fight the impulses of our "survival" mode, but we have a limited reserve to do so.  Significant and lasting change is much more likely when we switch to focusing on our values and the long term view, rather than 'correcting wrong behaviors'.  Welcoming the truth of our experience as a teacher on our long road is one way to do this.

For the waning portion of this cycle, as the dark slowly approaches, I am honoring the truth of what is (and was and will be) by choosing a perspective of the longer journey.  In this light, even the inevitable 'wrong behaviors' become my teachers, and no matter how long the night, I can see the dawn.

Self Reflection: I honor without defense. I welcome all teachers. I won't defend against Truth; I will take it as it is, without an effort to change it.
I won't rush to embrace what 'may be' Truth. I will embrace a practice of aware restraint.
I will take time to be with what Truth reveals itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment